Pages

January 3, 2008

Pop culture say hello to justice - 2008 trends


It’s a new year. It’s 2008. To me it seems like just yesterday that it was 1999 and Y2K was going to bring down the whole world. Well, eight years later and I can still use a computer and Jesus hasn’t come back yet. Still waiting. This year started off with snow and more snow. All the people still in denial about global warming are smiling, at least until next week when it will be 50 degrees in January.
I’m not sure what this year brings. I see some crazy trends. All of a sudden it’s good to buy, buy, buy, because when we buy we are giving back. I’m not sure how I feel about that – buying to help other people. Clothing has also made a stance on the environment and justice. Although, I’m not sure who made the clothing and how much that person was paid to make it. I am also not sure whether the shirt being made was actually good for the environment in general. Justice is in pop culture for sure. It’s kind of cool. Until I stop to think: will this trend last? Whether justice is just something like frozen yogurt and carb diets ('heathly' 'good-for-you' fades that have fallen to the wayside) we’ll have to wait. And what is up with the sudden urge of saving the world by one-click of the button. Once again, great idea- but are our priorities right? We spend 5.2 seconds going to a website and clicking “feed a person for a day” while the next three hours we shop and then watch the next new reality tv program. I’m not sure about all of this. I know it makes me feel good to buy things that give money to wells in Africa or clicking a button on a website to give rice to a child. I would like to think people care about the earth and the poor and sick around the world. I’ll take a trend in caring for the world over never caring for it. I just hope in 2008 and beyond it ceases to just be a trend.

No comments: