Pages

January 17, 2008

my favorite bird


There are a lot of different types of birds in the world. Some are exotic, some are plain and boring, and others are normal. I am not quite sure how people come to love certain birds and not others. Some people I think like the majestic colors of certain birds. Other people may like the call of a particular species. Of course, geography plays a role in having a favorite bird. While I think a roadrunner is an interesting bird, I have never seen one and know nothing about it. I know much more about a blue jay or a cardinal. I think how a bird acts also contributes to liking it. Some birds, much like the mourning dove seem to be much more docile while others like the nuthatcher are much more energetic. Other birds stand out because of the fascinating qualities that are unique to that type of bird. Great examples include a hummingbird’s flight or a woodpecker tunneling a hole.
I, along with many other bird lovers, have a favorite bird. I like this bird in particular for many reasons. The first is its distinguishable call. The second is its color. The third is its body size and the size of its beak. And lastly, the unique way the bird fishes for its prey. My favorite bird is the kingfisher. The kingfisher lives along ponds and rivers fishing for its prey. It spots a fish in the water and dive bombs into the water to fish for it. Every time I get near a pond or river with trees that are near the edge I always try to spot one of these unique birds.

No comments: