Pages

January 14, 2008

Don’t know much about politics. The buzzing primaries.


“What’s the deal with politics?”, as Jerry Seinfeld would ask. There seems to be a buzz in the air this year. And it isn’t around who is going to the super bowl or the Olympics or other usual things that get a buzz around the country. What’s got the buzz, and probably through November, are politics and the election for the next president. Three states are down: Iowa, Wyoming (for the Republicans), and New Hampshire. My first presidential election I could vote in was four years ago for the 2004 election. I voted for the loser, who interestingly enough will give his support for Obama this year.
I don’t know much about politics – although I try to. I don’t know how important the results so far are to the rest of the primaries. On the democratic side, Obama has received support from Iowa. In New Hampshire Clinton won, closely followed by Obama. Edwards is close behind both, but as in 2004 doesn’t seem close enough to win. For the Republicans Huckabee got support in Iowa. However, Huckabee seemed to not have shown up in either Wyoming or New Hampshire. In Wyoming, Romney won. In New Hampshire, McCain won. Giuliani and Thompson are also in the hunt to win.
Michigan is the next primary on January 15. On the Democratic side who knows what could happen. Because Michigan moved up its primary date it was penalized. Obama and Edwards both pulled out of the Michigan primaries. This could mean a runaway for Clinton. Many people in Michigan are told to write “uncommitted” if they can’t vote for the candidate they want. I’m not sure what this does to dispersing the delegates. It seems to have been a mistake for Michigan to move up their date for the primaries. The Republicans I think could have a close race. McCain won in 2000. Romney also has a good chance of winning, I think. Romney was born in Michigan. After Michigan it is on to Nevada on January 19.
I think all this primary buzz is good for a nation with poor voting records. I think many people have learned over the past four years (some people eight) that it is important to vote – and that voting actually can make a difference. I sure don’t know much about politics, but as for me, I am learning.

1 comment:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.