Pages

January 16, 2008

penguins and love songs (the morning news)


This morning I had a couple minutes to spare before I went to work. I sat down and turned on the news. I wanted to see the results on the Michigan Primaries that were the day before. I wasn’t very hopeful. I’ve tried watching the news in the morning before. It just does not work for me. I seem to be able to turn the tv on between 6:10 and 6:30. Between that time all I seem to catch that is kind of news-worthy is the weather and traffic (twice). The weather is never dependable. That is not a knock on the weather person or the weather service. When you try to predict something like weather you are just going to be wrong a lot. The traffic is no help for me either. I ride the Kennedy expressway everyday. The only ‘traffic’ they give about the Kennedy is downtown. They forget to mention the miles of back-up beyond that.
So weather and traffic only take up about two minutes of that twenty minute interval in which I can watch the news. You’re wondering “what could they possibly fit in the other eighteen minutes that seems ‘news-worthy’ but isn’t news?” My answer to that is that they fit in eighteen minutes of tv time, but not newsworthy time. I get to hear about different trendy stores to shop at and a daily top 10 list. Today’s was best love songs. I may not know who won the primaries yesterday, but at least I know what love songs are the best. The best part of the twenty minutes of news I get (and by best I mean worst) is the “surfin’ the web”. If you go to the WGN News website what I got to see is this! No, you’re not mistaken. That’s a yeti hitting a penguin for points. So, that’s my news for the day – a penguin and love songs. What a disgrace. I hope in the future news stations will begin to look more like news stations and less like celebrity gossip tv programs and useless facts shows.

1 comment:

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.