Pages

April 9, 2010

wandering unemployment


If you have been reading my blog for awhile you might have noticed that there was a long absence of new blogs.  And since February the blog finally has life again.  Of course this is no coincidence. Out of work for six months my blog was virtually frozen.  With more time on my hands than ever, the ideas were not flowing.  And now that I am back to work, the wellspring of ideas is finally starting to come back.      

This made me think of how other out-of-workers are doing around the United States and the world.  I was fortunate enough to have been supported while unemployed, but others are not so fortunate. How long until grief and depression set in?  When does pain become too unbearable to move from one day to the next?  Unemployment benefits may be one thing, but what about the psychological effect on individuals and societies?  Cycles of chronic unemployment and homelessness set in and the greater society has not been equipped to help them (if they even do).

Luckily, I have been carried by a greater support system.  Others have not been so lucky.   

No comments: