Pages

April 25, 2010


Last Saturday, in the rain, I traveled to East Wareham to a marsh to see which birds were also braving the weather.  As I got out of the car, I realized it wasn’t just raining - it was cold.  I wasn’t sure I was going to see much except for a few gulls.  But then a red-breasted merganser flew into the marsh area.  After that I saw my first great egret for the year.  If you haven’t seen a great egret before, they are tall and white.  They’re hard to miss.  After the egret, I turned around to find an osprey sitting on a rock along the bay.

After the marsh, I traveled to Lyman Reserve, a reserve I pass everyday on my way to work to see what I could see there.  Although it is a small reserve area I did see a few things of note.  I saw an osprey hovering over the river trying to find breakfast.  And although I didn’t see much besides a few song sparrows looking for food, in a small island along the river a mother goose was on its nest.  Other birds I saw that day:

Canada GooseOspreyAmerican CrowBlack-capped ChickadeeTufted TitmouseSong SparrowNorthern CardinalRed-winged BlackbirdRed-breasted MerganserGreat EgretRing-billed GullHerring GullAmerican Goldfinch

Bird of the week: Great Egret

First sightings of the day: Great Egret

(Life) Birds I want to see this year:
American Kestrel (seen on 2/27/2010)
Horned Lark
Eastern Meadowlark
An owl

No comments: