Pages

July 31, 2008

to Maine and back: June & July roundup

June and July have been filled with all kinds of summer fun. It all started with the first Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) share. The share, which is from a farm in Ottawa, Illinois, is a program started by Resurrection Covenant Church to support local farms, eating healthy, and community outreach. It has changed the way I eat and think about food. It has also been some of the best food I have ever eaten.


First CSA share box


The first share of veggies!


Me, cutting up some kohl rabi.



Swiss chard, tomato, cheese loaf. It's freakin awesome!


The mangos are chopped.


Mango ice cream.

The summer has also been filled with concerts, movies in the park, and lots of walking. July has been an especially busy month. I’ve listened to a little Beethoven while enjoying downtown. I saw the original The Odd Couple with friends under the stars of downtown. In July I ventured to two new states – Maine and Virginia. On my trip to Maine I got to see the Atlantic for the first time in the Northeast. The New England trip was too short and the Virginia trip was too long. I also got to go to the Shedd for the day!

I’ve enjoyed cooking over the past couple of months. I hope I can continue to enjoy it in such a fast paced world. I’m exploring how to make cheese and other dairy products. Along with looking into another career lately, there are also lots of unknowns and surprises to come in my life. Amidst not having a lot of money in a rich city, I am enjoying life at its fullest.

No comments: