Pages

February 18, 2008

off the beaten path, chicago


I don’t tend to find many places ‘off the beaten path’ in Chicago. There are a few including Jimmy’s Red Hots at Grand and Pulaski, Tre Kronor at Foster and Spaulding, and a few others. On Saturday while making my way downtown I found a new one.
Let me first explain that among the “hidden gems” I have found they all happen to be quite popular in their respected neighborhoods and in Chicago. However, they are quite hidden from the tourists of the ‘burbs and the greater Midwest.
On Saturday I went to the Newberry Library to do some research on my family history. The aura of books on the outside was as amazing as the building on the outside. The Newberry is a public research library. Its collection includes: rare books, maps, music, manuscripts, and others. Many of these books and information cannot be found at a rare bookstore or even an average library. The library also has numerous classes, seminars, programs, and tours. The history is as local as Chicago itself and as wide as the Middle Ages of Europe. It has to be one of the greatest places I have been to in Chicago.

No comments: