Pages

July 27, 2011

baby boom

With the increase in social media it seems easier for people to get jealous, sad, envious (or happy) about others people’s fortune of having a baby. Back in the day people’s circles were closer. When you learned about someone getting pregnant or having a baby it was either from someone you directly knew or had weekly contact with, or a relative of someone you knew like a co-worker or family member.


Today – you can know just about everything about anyone you have ever met. Now you know when people from high school or college or from the previous town you worked in are having a baby. In some ways it is really neat. I get to learn about the lives of people who - after high school or after I moved away - I may never have heard from again.

In other ways it can be tough. For someone who has just lost a baby, is barren, unable to adopt, or is undergoing fertility treatments, is something like Facebook good or bad? Does it bring sadness or hope? Both? There seems to be very little tragedy on Facebook or at least with the 300+ friends that I have. The statuses of people either contain good or happy things (30%), pointless things (65%), tragedy or sad (5%). This is all anecdotal of course. I think it points out something crucial about social media websites such as Facebook and Twitter – they aren’t building better relationships.

One way I’d like to see if a church is really authentic during their prayer requests (or Sunday School, etc) is if people give real prayer requests. What do I mean? For those who haven’t been to church before or have not witnessed this in many churches prayer requests can be “surface-y” and vague and people don’t show any real meaning when they share a request. Prayer requests that are authentic or real involve the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Without that on Facebook we can never relate to those who may be grieving, only to those with the happy life. For me I think it would be difficult to be grieving and use social media as a tool (at least Facebook). I think the same can be said about similar situations such as job loss. Back in 2009 when everyone seemed to be losing a job little of it was on Facebook.

In some ways I think social media is bringing people closer than they ever would have been otherwise. In other ways it will never replace, nor do I ever think social media sites ever intended it to replace, real authentic relationships. In still other ways I think social media can be a tough place to be in the midst of such surface-y relationships. But hey, that’s just me.

1 comment:

Alaina Beth said...

This is true - and struck a chord with me. As 2 people who really want children, but for a variety of reasons shouldn't/can't have them right now, the plethora of social media has been really bad for me.

Talking to a friend on the phone and working it through (such as with Jess) has been a much better situation for me. Because sometimes it really does seem like it is everyone but you. I even posted about your baby quilt and had people ask if I was pregnant. Ack!

Anyway, I wonder the same thing about social media. I just never know.