Pages

February 25, 2011

in search of a meadow


2010 was a good birding year. I had plenty of life birds. Over 70 according to my ebird.com records. (A few of those I have seen previous to entering my bird sightings into ebird.) Even so, a huge number. Last year I sought out four specific birds: three birds, however, completely eluded me. The Horned Lark, Eastern Meadowlark, and any species of owl. Technically I heard an owl – but never saw it. The Horned Lark and Eastern Meadowlark I did not even come close to. These two birds love prairies, meadows, and open fields - features that in many parts of the community are endangered because of the ever expansion of human growth.

How do I plan to find these two birds? Persistence. I hope to be able to see some by tracking the sighting of the two birds in the area and scoping out fields in town. I’ve got 309 days to find these two pesky birds.

No comments: