Pages

March 5, 2008

dw: a new law




derek webb: a new law

don’t teach me about politics and government
just tell me who to vote for
don’t teach me about truth and beauty
just label my music
don’t teach me how to live like a free man
just give me a new law
i don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy
so just bring it down from the mountain to me
i want a new law
i want a new law
gimme that new law
don’t teach me about moderation and liberty
i prefer a shot of grape juice
don’t teach me about loving my enemies
don’t teach me how to listen to the Spirit
just give me a new law
what’s the use in trading a law you can never keep
for one you can that cannot get you anything
do not be afraid
do not be afraid
do not be afraid

I’ve never actually seen anyone walk out of a Christian concert before. Of course I have heard of people walking out before. In a class I had in undergrad, an esteemed atheist decided to proclaim to the whole class one day that one of her friends brought her to a concert. The girl went on to say that her friend had the audacity to bring her to a lame Christian concert without telling her it was a Christian concert. (The friend probably should have mentioned that.) The concert was so lame in her opinion that she walked out. I’ve also heard of people walking out on Derek Webb. Not because his music was lame, but that his lyrics were to honest that the group could not take it and walked out. Derek Webb didn’t always have people walking out in his concerts. He is a former member of Caedmon’s Call [now on tour with them]. If you do not know who Caedmon’s Call is, they are a popular Christian band. They consider themselves folk-pop. This is probably a proper description. Their songs are sung in churches and youth groups all over the U.S. I’ve been recently listening to Derek Webb and his album “Mockingbird”. The album is from 2005. It is a few years old and he has newer music out. (I haven’t listened to it yet.) The music and lyrics are really good. The music is different from the praise-song music that Cademon’s Call is known for. The lyrics bring about thinking, imaginings, wonder, and change. His songs may even be a little facetious. Take for example the song “A New Law”.
“A New Law” is a great song because it brings out the hypercritical, prideful, damaging, and enslaving attitudes that Christians sometimes have. Jesus is the new law, yet we continue to disregard him and continue to make up new laws. This song isn’t the most controversial song Derek has. This song talks about rigid legalism and blinded views. I like this song however because it proclaims [in a song] what is not proclaimed often. We are to seek out truth and beauty. We are to know about politics and the world and to not just follow it blindly. God created and loves every person (enemies included) and creation of this world. Should we not seek out what God seeks? The best part about the song to me is the line: “I don’t wanna know if the answers aren’t easy so just bring it down from the mountain to me.” Sometimes it is just easier to add a new rule instead of taking the hard answer and many times we do. Webb makes a prophetic statement for a people who desperately need to hear it.
Many people that review Webb’s music say he provides the music to “jive” to and words to converse. I hope his music continues to make people think and brings about awareness.

No comments: